Item 2: Kauai Civil Defense Agency shapefile Date Received: 20050708
1) For Hawaii and Kauai County: Shelter locations were plotted or validated by address verification means utilizing tabular information provided by the Hawaii State Chapter of the American Red Cross. Because most of the emergency shelters were located in public schools, the Emergency Shelters data layer was created by utilizing an existing Hawaii Public Schools data layer. The Public Schools layer was modified by removing schools that were not emergency shelters and digitizing points that were emergency shelters but not located in public schools. The Public Schools layer was originally created by the State of Hawaii, Office of Planning in 2001.
2) For the C&C of Honolulu: The list of current emergency shelters was compared against an existing emergency shelter location shapefile utilizing tabular information provided by the Hawaii State Chapter of the American Red Cross. Shelters that were missing from the existing shapefile were digitized using their addresses, shelters in the existing shapefile but not on the list were removed, and shelters in the shapefile and on the list were validated by address verification means.
3) Street addresses and telephone numbers for each emergency shelter location were valididated using the State of Hawaii Department of Education public school directory and the Internet Yellow Pages.
4) The shapefiles for Hawaii County, Maui County, Kauai County and the C&C of Honolulu were merged into a single statewide coverage.
5) The data was projected from the Old Hawaiian Datum to the NAD 83 Datum using a Molodensky transform with the following value: Hi_Nei 61(x) -285(y) -181(z).
6) In July 2005, an emergency shelters shapefile was provided to the PDC by the Kauai Civil Defense Agency. This data replaced the existing Kauai County data in the statewide emergency shelters shapefile.
7) The State of Hawaii, Office of Planning (OP) acquired the data from PDC.
8) In December, 2007, an emergency shelters shapefile was provided to OP by Maui County. Because the shapefile contained different attributes and is maintained separately from the PDC data, it is being provided as a separate layer by the Office of Planning, and Maui County shelters were removed from the statewide emergency shelter database.